The Department of Operations is responsible for all facilities and operations management and planning in almost 1M square feet of office, classroom, and research space. The Department is also responsible for all real estate, facilities maintenance, space management, renovations, construction, security, food service, landscaping, custodial services, emergency planning, environmental health and safety (EH&S), and strategic facilities planning. These buildings are located in both Boston, MA and Cambridge, MA.
The Department of Operations manages the planning, designing, and execution of construction projects related to the changing needs of academic programming, research activities, and building maintenance.
The Construction and Facilities Project Manager reports to the Manager of Buildings and Construction and is responsible for all day-to-day project management activities associated with construction and facility maintenance as directed.
Duties and responsibilities include, but are not limited to, the following:
- Participates as a member of a professional team in the maintenance, design, construction, permitting and transition of space in support of the SPH mission - Manages the project delivery process through the design, construction and closeout phases of building projects - Facilitates communication throughout projects, particularly during transition from one phase to the next - Develops and maintains project schedules and budgets from planning through project closeout for inclusion in overall project documentation - Communicates, to the Manager of Buildings and Construction, issues affecting project program, quality, budget, scope, timeline or delivery - Participates in or leads the owner's construction meetings to review construction progress and quality - Monitors, systematizes, recommends and reports on all change proposals and monitors impact on project schedules and budgets - Manages project quality control systems for all projects - Manages contracts for select owner required specialty consulting as necessary - Reviews, and coordinates reviews, of all submittals to ensure expeditious processing - Works to continually develop and refine internal standard operational procedures (SOP's) and documentation - Observes all onsite tests required by contract documents and coordinates testing activities by agents retained by the Owner - Observes and reviews the contractor's record drawings and reports any apparent failure by the contractor to maintain records - Arranges and monitors the timely and orderly project closeout activities - Works with consultants and operations personnel to prepare a punch-list for the contractor, and ensures a punch-list items are addressed appropriately - Sustains an environment that fosters teamwork, excellence, respect, accountability, personal responsibility and diversity
Duties and Responsibilities will be continued in the "Additional Information" section.
Duties and Responsibilities continued:
- Reviews and recommends for payments and project invoices within appropriate signing authority - Reviews and recommends course of action for all project invoices that fall outside approved signing authority level - Responsible for project cost control - Monitors project monthly cash flow projections - Provides budget updates, reviews proposed change orders and discusses project budget issues with the Manager of Buildings and Construction as needed - Guides design decisions by stakeholders to maintain the project scope within the approved scope and budget - Coordinates and takes part in the value engineering process
- With other members of the project team, coordinates submissions to jurisdictional authorities for permitting - Ensures compliance with regulations and all authorities having jurisdiction - Arranges for all jurisdictional authorities' inspection necessary to secure the Certificate of Occupancy in an expeditious manner - Works closely with Harvard EH&S to ensure compliance with all Harvard and Government policies, guidelines, rules, regulations and laws
The Construction and Facilities Project Manager will also performs other, related duties as assigned.
Harvard offers an outstanding benefits package including:
Time Off: 3- 4 weeks paid vacation, paid holiday break, 12 paid sick days, 11.5 paid holidays, and 3 paid personal days per year.
Medical/Dental/Vision: We offer a variety of excellent medical plans, dental & vision plans, all coverage begins as of your start date.
Retirement: University-funded retirement plan with full vesting after 3 years of service.
Tuition Assistance Program: Competitive tuition assistance program, $40 per class at the Harvard Extension School and discounted options through participating Harvard grad schools.
Transportation: Harvard offers a 50% discounted MBTA pass as well as additional options to assist employees in their daily commute.
Wellness Options: Harvard offers programs and classes at little or no cost, including stress management, massages, nutrition, meditation and complimentary health services.
Harvard access to athletic facilities, libraries, campus events and many discounts throughout metro Boston.
Join the Harvard T.H. Chan School of Public Health to support our mission of health research and education, and to be a part of the oldest institution of higher learning in the country!
Salary Grade: 058
Union: 00 - Non Union, Exempt or Temporary
- Bachelor's Degree required. - 7+ years of related experience required.
- Bachelor's Degree, Master's Degree, or certification in related, technical field (such as facilities management, construction, engineering, design, architecture, etc.) preferred. - Experience managing construction/facilities projects, preferably in a higher education or laboratory setting, on projects with budgets of $1M or more preferred. - Experience with design and construction processes preferred. - Field supervisory experience on construction sites, and proven track record of on time/on budget project completion, preferred. - Familiarity with City, State, and Federal codes and ordinances preferred. - Experience developing and maintaining project budgets, cash flow projections and schedules preferred. - Experience with interpreting architectural and construction contracts and plans preferred. - Experience negotiating and resolving complex issues (as they arise) preferred. - Commitment to diversity and to serving the needs of a diverse organization preferred. - Strong attention to detail preferred. - Experience with the Microsoft Office Suite preferred.
EQUAL OPPORTUNITY EMPLOYER: We are an equal opportunity employer and all qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, national origin, disability status, protected veteran status, or any other characteristic protected by law.
About Harvard University T.H. Chan School of Public Health
Harvard University is devoted to excellence in teaching, learning, and research, and to developing leaders in many disciplines who make a difference globally. The University, which is based in Cambridge and Boston, Massachusetts, has an enrollment of over 20,000 degree candidates, including undergraduate, graduate, and professional students. Harvard has more than 360,000 alumni around the world. T...he University has twelve degree-granting Schools in addition to the Radcliffe Institute for Advanced Study, offering a truly global education. Established in 1636, Harvard is the oldest institution of higher education in the United States.