Marketing and Communications Manager, PCC Foundation
Portland Community College
April 25, 2018
Full Time - Experienced
4 Year Degree
Marketing and Communications Manager, PCC Foundation
Portland Community College
Requisition Number: 09387
Location: Sylvania Campus
Address: 12000 SW 49th Avenue, Portland, OR
Hours of Work: 8 a.m. to 5 p.m. Monday - Friday
Position Status: Management; Level I; Full-time; Exempt
Starting Salary Range: Minimum $56,475 to range mid-point of $69,180. Placement generally will not exceed the mid-point, based on qualifications, experience and internal equity. (Full Range is $56,475 to $81,890)
Job Close Date: For best consideration apply by May 11, 2018
Job Summary: Portland Community College is looking for a Marketing and Communications Manager who will lead the PCC Foundation's communications strategy, including all materials related to the foundation's comprehensive campaign, with oversight of creative message / graphic development, media and events programming to achieve objectives of advancing the reputation and fundraising results of the PCC Foundation.
If this sounds like a learning community that you would like to be a part of, and an important role that you would like to play for PCC, please review the minimum qualifications for this position and apply today.
Here is our Intended Recruitment Timeline
- April 20, 2018: Job Announcement Published - May 11, 2018: Application Deadline for Best Consideration - Week of May 21, 2018: Semi-finalist Phone Interviews - Week of May 28, 2018: Finalist On-Campus Interviews
PCC offers a comprehensive benefit package designed to provide employees and their families, including domestic partners, with access to a broad range of benefit options. Includes Health, Dental, and Vision options, Group Life, Long-term Disability, Long-term Care, and Auto and Home Insurance programs.
PCC currently fully funds the Oregon Public Employers Retirement System (PERS) pension and contributes an additional 6% into the employee's Individual Account Program under PERS. PCC also provides a 2% contribution to a 403(b) account for eligible management personnel. PCC offers a tax deferred annuity program and a deferred compensation program where employees may save additional pre-tax dollars for retirement.
Paid Leave: 14.67 hours of Vacation leave per month 1 day of Sick Leave per month 11 Holidays 3 additional Personal Leave days per year
Additionally, PCC provides a tuition waiver for you, your spouse/domestic partner, and children under 24 years of age, as well as tuition reimbursement for full-time employees at other accredited institutions.
Responsibilities/Duties: As part of the Foundation leadership team, helps set, measure and meet the Foundation's strategic communication and marketing goals.
1. Through close collaboration with the College's Public Relations/Community Engagement Office, develops and disseminates public relations materials, including press releases, media packets, feature stories for the foundation and college website and magazine, social media content and internal communication pieces. Researches and helps develop communications and talking points for College leaders.
2. Supervises professionals, classified staff, technical/support staff and students. Hires, evaluates, trains, disciplines and recommends dismissal of staff as necessary.
3. Develops and manages the Foundation's brand and creative strategy in conjunction with the College, establishing standards to protect them and overseeing their implementation.
4. Serves as the primary custodian of marketing projects processed through the department, which includes: coordinating all aspects affecting the final product, monitoring project budgets, assuring congruence with overall Foundation's plans and objectives, advising clients on project options that can influence effectiveness and performing other related activities.
5. Manages the full scope of activities related to the development and dissemination of a variety of marketing and communication tactics and materials developed and produced through the department, which includes the annual report, videos, events, promotional partnerships, brochures and other printed collateral, Internet marketing, direct mailings, talking points, scripts, image development and design, research, and/or other applicable items. Oversees the production of such materials by providing direction to applicable individuals. Scope of responsibility includes participating in or reviewing written materials, editing, media buying, talent selection and scheduling, client relations, working with Public Relations staff on social media activities, working with the Web Team on PCC website issues and/or other related items.
6. Creates annual communication strategic plan, including budget allocation, message development, creative direction, target audiences, timelines, and/or other related issues.
7. Creates campaign communication plan and product, including budget, timeline and media deliverables.
8. Establishes priorities for work assignments, monitors progress, reviews work products and ensures products are delivered in a timely manner.
9. Selects, hires, and manages freelance talent, including consultants, writers, and photographers. Manages relations with applicable contractors and contracts with external service providers.
10. Develops and disseminates public relations materials, including press releases, media packets, feature stories for the foundation and college website and magazine, social media content and internal communication pieces. Researches and helps develop communications and talking points for College leaders.
11. Develops, plans, and manages special events and other activities to ensure related strategic goals are met.
12. Develops content for Annual Fund appeals.
13. Participates in developing supporting communication strategies for internal and external audiences. Edits content for Foundation website covering the campaigns and events.
14. Serves as lead staff for assigned Foundation Board volunteer committee(s).
Minimum Qualifications: Minimum Qualifications To be considered for this position, your application materials must show how you meet the following requirements:
Note: Experience requirements use full-time equivalent
Foundation Communication positions require a Bachelor's Degree in Communications, Marketing, or related area. Relevant experience may substitute for the degree requirement on a year-for-year basis.
Three years progressively responsible experience related to area of assignment, including two years of lead or supervisory experience. Successful completion of PCC LEAD Academy or a comparable external leadership training program may substitute for up to 6 months of lead or supervisory experience.
Travel between campuses and within the College District requires the ability to drive and use of a personal vehicle.
KNOWLEDGE AND SKILLS Knowledge of: - Fundraising, marketing and communication principles and practices; - Leadership and management principles; - Writing, especially for fundraising purposes - Volunteer management techniques; - Budgeting principles and practices; - Communication production principles and practices; - Event planning - Community college operations and administration principles and practices. - Contract management principles; - Project management principles and practices; - Public relations principles. - Social media principles and practices;
Demonstrated skill in: - Persuasive writing skills - Developing marketing plans and strategies; - Developing creative concepts, messages, and visual appearances to achieve desired objectives and College branding; - Communicating effectively through oral and written mediums; - Planning and executing special events; - Communicating effectively with all levels of management, board of directors, staff and external individuals and groups, including media representatives; - Preparing a variety of written materials, including brochures, proposals, speeches, presentations, magazine and web articles; blog posts, news releases and media advisories. - Speaking in public, presenting information, group facilitation, influencing and negotiating; - Handling multiple tasks simultaneously; - Managing and coordinating the preparation and publication of a variety of promotional and/or communication materials; - Managing projects; - Analyzing and interpreting data and information and making appropriate recommendations based on findings; - Preparing a variety of reports related to operational activities, including statistical analysis; - Working with diverse academic, cultural and ethnic backgrounds of community college students and staff; - Supervising subordinate staff; - Utilizing computer technology for communication, data gathering and reporting activities. - Developing and maintaining relationships with members of the community, government agencies, media, business and industry; - Navigating sensitive or complex political issues;
Able to: - Work effectively with an ethnically and culturally diverse population; - Work independently and as part of the Foundation Team to set priorities and manage multiple projects simultaneously with competing deadlines; - Manage and execute successful donor cultivation or fundraising events; - Maintain a positive attitude and collaborative style that fosters workplace excellence and Collegial staff support; - Use standard software programs and database reporting systems.
Special/Preferred Qualifications: Preferred Qualifications These qualifications and characteristics are critical to success in this important role at PCC. Please clarify in your application materials the experiences, successes and techniques evidencing how you bring these strengths:
1. Bachelor's Degree in Communications, Marketing, or related area.
2. Demonstrated critical thinking and problem solving leadership skills within a complex organization
3. Demonstrated ability to market and communicate impactful messages across a broad spectrum of constituents.
4. Demonstrated critical thinking and effectiveness managing diverse teams, including PCC staff and contractors.
5. Experience working in a communications or marketing role in a complex nonprofit organization, especially in regards to inspiring philanthropic gifts.
When you apply, Please be prepared to attach a document with your responses to the following Required Questions:
1. Describe how your background and work experience qualify you for this position. 2. PCC is committed to equity and inclusion in all aspects of our work. Please tell us what you believe are the most significant aspects of human diversity. What is your experience working with and for people of diverse backgrounds and share with us why you believe that experience is relevant to the work of this position?
Additional Posting Information: To apply for this position, please submit: 1. Completed responses to the (2) Required Questions from the Committee - scroll down to see "Required Questions" below - (Attach document)* 2. Completed online application 3. Cover Letter (attach document)* Please state how you meet the minimum and preferred qualifications. 4. Current Resume (attach document)*
* When you apply for the position, you will be given an opportunity to attach the above documents. They may be attached in either "Microsoft Word" or ".pdf" formats. 1. Describe how your background and work experience qualify you for this position. 2. PCC is committed to equity and inclusion in all aspects of our work. Please tell us what you believe are the most significant aspects of human diversity. What is your experience working with and for people of diverse backgrounds and share with us why you believe that experience is relevant to the work of this position?
Notes to Applicant:
- Upon hire candidate will be required to provide official transcripts for all degrees earned.
- Applicants selected for hire will be required to pass a criminal background check as a condition of employment.
- Portland Community College will hire only United States citizens and aliens lawfully authorized to work in the United States. All new employees will be required to complete the designated Immigration Service Employers Verification I-9 form.
- As an Affirmative Action, Equal Employment Opportunity institution, PCC is actively seeking qualified minorities, women, disabled veterans, veterans and individuals with disabilities to enhance its work force and to reflect the diversity of its student body. Applicants with disabilities may request accommodation to complete the application and selection process. Please notify Human Resources at least three (3) working days prior to the date of need.
Documents that must be associated with this posting: Resume Cover Letter Responses to Required Questions
Documents which can be associated with this posting:
Full Time/Part Time: Full Time
How to Apply For complete job description and application instructions, visit: jobs.pcc.edu
As an Affirmative Action, Equal Employment Opportunity institution, PCC is actively seeking qualified minorities, women, disabled veterans, veterans and individuals with disabilities to enhance its work force and to reflect the diversity of its student body. Applicants with disabilities may request accommodation to complete the application and selection process. Please notify Human Resources at least three (3) working days prior to the date of need.