Why Work at BNL?
Brookhaven National Laboratory is a multipurpose research institution funded primarily by the U.S. Department of Energy's Office of Science. Located on the center of Long Island, New York, Brookhaven Lab brings world-class facilities and expertise to the most exciting and important questions in basic and applied sciencefrom the birth of our universe to the sustainable energy technology of tomorrow. We operate cutting-edge large-scale facilities for studies in physics, chemistry, biology, medicine, applied science, and a wide range of advanced technologies. The Laboratory's almost 3,000 scientists, engineers, and support staff are joined each year by more than 4,000 visiting researchers from around the world. Our award-winning history, including seven Nobel Prizes, stretches back to 1947, and we continue to unravel mysteries from the nanoscale to the cosmic scale, and everything in between. Brookhaven is operated and managed by Brookhaven Science Associates, which was founded by the Research Foundation for the State University of New York on behalf of Stony Brook University, and Battelle, a nonprofit applied science and technology organization.
Essential Duties and Responsibilities
- Under minimum supervision constructs, installs, repairs, maintains and operates refrigeration, air conditioning, ventilating and auxiliary related equipment including HVAC controls both electrical and pneumatic.
- Will perform the same work on air compressors and vacuum pumps whether or not associated with the above equipment. Shift workers assigned to Building 600 acknowledge all Laboratory alarms in the control room and make appropriate notifications.
Required Knowledge, Skills and Abilities
- Minimum ten (10) years HVAC trade experience.
- Must have a strong background working on Absorption, Reciprocating and Centrifugal equipment.
- Must possess EPA Universal Certification. Ability to demonstrate brazing techniques.
- Familiarity with blue prints and HVAC wiring schematics.
Environmental, Health, and Safety Considerations
The Lab's placement policy is to select the best qualified candidate for an available position. With respect to Bargaining Unit positions, candidates are considered in the following order: (1) present benefits-eligible employees within the department/division and/or appropriate bargaining unit, with preference for those within the immediate work group; (2) present benefits-eligible employees within the Laboratory; and (3) outside applicants.
- Requires ability to work in a radiation facility
- Requires the ability to work outside or inside.
- Requires the ability to routinely lift over 30 lbs.
- Requires the ability to drive a government vehicle and have a valid NY Driver's License.
- Requires the ability to climb ladders and access facility roofs
- Requires the ability to wear a respirator
- Requires the ability to work under extreme conditions: cold/heat
- Requires pre-appointment physical
We invite you to consider Brookhaven National Laboratory for employment. To be considered for this position, please apply online at BNL Careers and enter the job title into the Keyword Search.
Brookhaven National Laboratory (BNL) is an equal opportunity employer committed to ensuring that all qualified applicants receive consideration for employment and will not be discriminated against on the basis of race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, age, status as a veteran, disability or any other federal, state or local protected class.
BNL takes affirmative action in support of its policy and to advance in employment individuals who are minorities, women, protected veterans, and individuals with disabilities.
*VEVRAA Federal Contractor