Reporting to the Executive Director, the Director of Development & Communications will drive the private fundraising and communications efforts for Onward Neighborhood House, a 124-year-old nonprofit organization.
Founded in the settlement house tradition, Onward House provides a spectrum of educational programming across the lifespan, including resources for local entrepreneurs and small business owners in Chicago’s Belmont Cragin.
The Director of Development & Communications will be a self-starter, motivated by the opportunity to build a department in an organization on the rise.
Onward House recently completed a strategic planning process to support private revenue growth through fiscal year 2020. From the outset, the position will be supported by a contracted professional grant writer and a part-time assistant responsible for managing the donor database. Onward House has also selected a consultant to rebuild onwardhouse.org and related communications materials.
• Oversee all agency development and communications operations, including the supervision of department staff and consultants
• Represent the organization (externally) in the absence of the Executive Director
• With time, hire, train and supervise mid-level department staff
• Monitor private fundraising targets, based on annual budget projections
• Liaise with Executive Director, Board of Directors and Auxiliary Board to implement fundraising strategy
• With Executive Director and other senior staff, engage in agency strategic planning
• Lead Onward House’s existing special events, including an annual gala, golf outing and walk-a-thon
• Maintain existing and develop new relationships with key foundation and corporate staff and local businesses
• Coordinate with grantwriting consultant to manage grants calendar, develop proposal narratives and prepare attachments
• Research new prospective foundation, corporate and government funding sources
• Coordinate meetings with program directors to determine program needs and manage grant compliance
• Work with program directors to track and monitor program outcomes and client demographics for grant reporting
• Implement and expand upon Onward House’s individual giving strategy, including donor prospecting and cultivation
• With Executive Director, engage in research and planning to develop new earned income streams
• Increase Onward House’s brand visibility and monitor quality
• Implement and expand upon Onward House’s communications strategy, including print materials, website, e-newsletter and social media platforms
• Serve as project manager with project-based contractors (ex. Website redesign)
• Serve as primary copywriter and editor for organization